The silver lining is that while many pets and their owners are tipping the scales, losing weight is something they can do together, as people and pets make great weight loss partners for reasons both scientific and psychological.
For the second year in a row, Jenny Craig and Purina are pooling their resources to create a customized offering to help people and their pets lose weight together.
“Support while losing weight is invaluable,” says Jessica Collins, Area Market Director and spokesperson for Jenny Craig. “And a four-legged weight loss buddy can be the perfect partner, as they won’t judge and will provide great motivation to keep active by walking."
“Pets love exercising with their owners and can even help boost their owners’ time and intensity level,” said Purina Certified Weight Coach Heather Prendergast. According to Canadian researchers, dog owners walk nearly twice as much as people without dogs, while a University of Missouri study determined that walking speed increases 28 percent with a dog.
Collins and Prendergast offer the following tips for people and pets during weight loss:
* Walk before you run. If you and your pet are new to an exercise program, set short-term, manageable goals and gradually increase the level of difficulty and duration as the two of you work together toward your activity goals. Jenny Craig offers free walking plans here: http://www.jennycraig.com/heart-walk
* Play together. Dogs love to play fetch. Throw the ball and do lunges or squats while your dog runs to fetch - or race to get the ball first. Cats love chasing toys, too, and can even be taught to retrieve.
* Connect mealtime with exercise. Before breakfast or dinner, squeeze in a short walk. Teach your dog to earn his treat by performing a trick first. Have your cat hunt for their food by hiding kibble in different places around the house.
* Embrace snacking. Snacks for people and treats for pets can be built into a healthy meal plan, and can serve as protection against binge eating. Frequent small meals can also boost metabolism and keep hunger away.
* Drink up. Don’t forget to always hydrate, before and after exercise and throughout the day. Sometimes thirst can be confused with hunger, so make sure you and your pets always have a full water bowl.
* Get a checkup. Consult with your physician - and veterinarian - before beginning a weight loss, diet or exercise program.
The Power of Two program created by Jenny Craig and Purina includes additional healthy lifestyle tips for pets and owners, rebates for veterinary services, free counseling from Jenny Craig and other offers for participants. To enroll in the Power of Two program or learn more, visit PowerOfTwoProgram.com.